Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

CyberKnife

Robotic Radiosurgery. How robots are becoming a part of the cure for one of the most horrid of human ailments. Video Inside!


Posted by Alexandru Nicolae

Image Credit: Howie Blog. www.howiehanson.com

Because it's Mustache November (for those that don't know, it involves growing a mustache in support of finding a cure for prostate cancer), I thought I would do a short piece on cancer treatment. But me being the tech-junkie that I am, I've decided to discuss a cool new piece of cancer-fighting technology that few people know about. It's called CyberKnife, and it's robotic, missle-guided, radiosurgery. Let that sink in before you read the rest, I'll wait here...

CyberKnife is to radiation therapy what heat-seeking missiles are to bombs; it is a form of radiation treatment that's super precise and offers a huge advantage over conventional radiotherapy. Currently, it offers treatments for cancers that are inoperable because of their location (like the brain), or simply too small to excise, and it's been shown to be super effective against tumors at a multitude of body locations. It's fast (treatment times are measured in minutes, not hours), fewer side-effects, and there's no anesthesia or cutting involved. So how does this thing work?

It's called frameless image-guided therapy. Conventional radiotherapy relies on a linear accelerator (a particle accelerator, like at CERN), to beam high-energy electrons into a tumor, thereby killing it. The only problem with it is that it's fixed to an immobile gantry; the accelerator can only rotate around fixed axes and therefore has a tough time hitting small tumors or metastases. This is where the CyberKnife comes in. Usually indicated for use in treating brain metastases (an area where you don't want to play around in), it puts the linear accelerator concept onto a 6 dimensional robotic arm. Six dimensional means that it has 6 degrees of freedom in its motion. The robotic arm rotates around the patient tracking the tumor and beaming it when prescribed, it does this with an image guided tracking system.


Video Credit: SJM Health System. Youtube.com

The image guided tracking system works like this: they take x-rays from different angles and localize the tumor, then they beam it once, take another set of images, repeat. All of it is integrated with extremely complex targeting and tracking software that I won`t try to explain, simply because I don't understand it myself. Regardless, it keeps track of the patient even if they move. So far this makes this form of treatment one of the least invasive methods of surgery I have seen thus far.

There are some issues, however. Because it is so new, few studies have been done on it's clinical effectiveness when compared to conventional radiotherapy methods. Individual studies have been done on specific sites on patients with progressed cancer with some promise, but more work definitely needs to be done to figure out its full potential and to cover all loose ends. The main benefit of greater target selectivity with reduced clinical treatment time and side effects makes this technology worth pursuing though.

On a small aside, I also discovered that recently deceased hollywood actor Patrick Swayze was being treated with the CyberKnife in 2008, and according to media reports was doing much better after his treatment. Unfortunately, like with most cancers, it came back and he passed away. Hopefully these new treatments continue to develop so we will one day be rid of this horrible disease. I for one will do my part by posting more information on the fight against cancer for the rest of Movember. If all you can do is grow a mustache (or a fake mustache, ladies), you've already done more than you think by raising awareness for the cure.

References:

Muacevic A, Kufeld BW, Kreth FW, Tonn JC. (2010). Feasibility, safety, and outcome of frameless image-guided robotic radiosurgery for brain metastases. J Neurooncol;97:267-274.

Gerszten PC, Ozhasoglu C, Burton SA, et al. (2003). CyberKnife frameless single-fraction stereotactic radiosurgery for benign tumors of the spine. J Neurosurg; 14(5): -

Shiomi H.(2006). CyberKnife. Japanese J Clin Radiol;51(5):573-582.

Adler JR, Chang SD, Murphy MJ, et al. (1997). The CyberKnife: a frameless robotic system for radiosurgery. Sterotact Funct Nuerosurg; 69(1-4): 124-8.

CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery System

CADTH: CyberKnife

Patrick Swayze smiling again after "miracle" response to cancer treatment. Daily Mail.co.uk.

4 comments:

  1. there is a new treatment for cancer named cyberknife cancer treatment, this method can remove the cancer cell without damaging the good cell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dear Friend, How can I explain this to the world again that there is a man who can cure heart cancer I was attack with heart cancer over since 2year I have being into cancer drug I can’t anymore I decide to look for help then I found this woman post write about this great man DR akpe telling people about how this man have cured people from cancer, I didn't believe that, because all I have in mind is that heart cancer had no cure, thank god for my life today am heart cancer negative through the power of DR akpe I contacted this man for help because the woman that write about him drop an email of the man so I pick the email and emailed him for the cure this man told me what to do about the cure. well am from U S A this man prepared a curing heart cancer herbal medicine for me and he told me that i am going to be cure of it after taking the herbal medicine for six days before i can be able to get rid of it. so i did as he says to me and i was always taking it everyday of it, so at the last day of it he called me and told me once i am done taking it i should go for a check up immediately, and before then i was very even filling strong and better, so immediately i was done in that very day then i quickly go for a check up of it and the doctor confirm it that i am cure of my heat cancer, it was just like a dream to me because i never new there could be this great spell caster that can get rid of this my situation by herbal medicine and to have a better life again, so my friends i want too to also email he if you need is help @ akpespellcaster@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am from England, Oxford,UK ...HIV has been ongoing in my family for long..I lost both parents to HIV/AIDS. As we all know medically, there is no solution or cure for HIV and the cost for Medication is very expensive. Someone introduced me to a man (Native Medical Practitioner) in Africa called Dr Ogudugu. I showed him all my Tests and Results and I told him that i have already been diagnosed of HIV and have spent thousands of dollars on medication. I said I will like to try him cause someone introduced me to him. He asked me sorts of questions and I answered him correctly. To cut the story short, He gave me some medicinal soaps and some herbs(have forgot the name he called them) and he thought me how am going to use them all. At first I was skeptical but I just gave it a try. I was on his Medication for 2 weeks and I used all the soaps and herbs according to his prescription. That he will finish the rest himself. And I called him 3 days after, I arrived and I told him what is the next thing he said, he has been expecting my call. He told me to visit my doctor for another test. Honestly speaking, i never believe all he was saying until after the test when my doctor mention the statement that am HIV negative and the doctor started asking me how do I do it....Am telling this story in case anyone may need this man’s help. you can contact him directly on this email: greatogudugu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. КиберНож это возможность победить рак и серёзные опухоли без боли. Уникальный метод лечения с использованием технологии CyberKnife в кибер клинике ЦСР Сигулда. http://cyberknife-sigulda.com/ru/otzyvy/

    ReplyDelete